Thursday, August 27, 2009

Waiting...


Well 1 week till the big day. We are hanging in there. I spoke with the cardiologist today just to answer some of my questions like: Does Eli have a partial or full AV canal? (that would be the nurse in mommy coming out. I have scoured the internet trying to learn everything I can so there will be no surprises. I do not like surprises when it comes to my children. I already had the biggest one ever when we were given this diagnosis) Well, they said, I guess we call it kinda intermediate. Hmmmm. I guess that would explain why they were so surprised he was so healthy. The ventricular septal defect is very small although it is definately there. Question #2: Does he have pulmonary hypertension and if so will it be resolved with the surgery? Does he need a cath or a swan? They said any pulmonary hypertension would be fixed with the surgery so no need to do a cardiac cath. Well, let's keep praying for an uneventful outcome! Go Eli!

3 comments:

  1. Hi my name is Nicole and I just happened to click the "next" button on the top of my blog and yours was next (I love your background!) and read about Eli and his surgery. I'm actually a nurse at SLCH and will be praying for you guys on the 3rd! I hope everything goes well, it sounds like he's already had such a huge blessing by being so healthy this far into his life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be sending many prayers your way, I hope everything goes well and that Eli will have a quick recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! My name is Cheryl and I am an anesthesiologist and a new mother to a 7 weeks old little girl with an AV canal. She does not have Down Syndrome, and her canal sounds similar to your son's - more of a trasitional AV canal. While the cardiologists originally said she would need the repair between 3-6 months, they now think more like 1-2 years. (The VSD is very small and she's gaining GREAT weight!) I just read your blog with much interest - I was wondering - how Eli is doing now?

    I would love to ask you a few questions about everything if you would be up for it- it's hard to find information about kids with transitional AV canals!

    My email is cherylgaughen@gmail.com

    I appreciate you telling your son's story... he is in my prayers.

    Best wishes for a great 2010!

    ReplyDelete